Wednesday, December 2, 2009

blog #360 >> Making Macaroons

Pix Patisserie, step aside! I will no longer be paying $1.75 for one your astounding macaroon cookies. Instead I will be making my own! Mine may not be a fancy as yours, but with practice, I think they will compare. And at the cost of about $2.50 a dozen a much better deal. This price is, of course, only relevant provided I ground my own almond flour with the bulk almonds from Winco in my coffee grinder. But this actually worked surprisingly well, and was MUCH cheaper than buying the pre-ground almond flour. Plus, I read that grinding your own flour helps the cookies rise more. I think I'm going to make these again for Christmas. But next time I'm going to make them bigger, add more food coloring, and bake them at a lower temperature. My first batch cooked a little too long. I'm also going to do a test run with just one cookie to make sure the oven's at the right temperature before I bake them all. Thanks again Carrie for this wonderful recipe! It's the best one I've seen. The instructions were simple and easy to follow, unlike many of the other recipes I've seen out there for macaroons.
T






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Arg!!! I have had all the ingredients sitting on the counter for a week and haven't got to them yet. I am soooooo pregnant and lazy! :o) I am planning on grinding my almonds also. Didn't think of using the coffee grinder. May have to try that. Yours look really good! Hopefully they tasted as good as they look.

Unknown said...

My son and I made these over the weekend and they turned out flat and odd shaped. I wonder why I didn't get the cute little hamburger shape like yours? Any tips?