Thursday, March 17, 2011

blog #454 >> Irish Soda Bread



Today during my lunch break, I walked up to the local bakery to pick up a loaf of their Irish soda bread. I got one last year and it was FANTASTIC! It was nice and biscuity, with whiskey soaked golden raisins and caraway seeds. I was looking forward to it all day. But when I got up there, they didn't have any this year. They made shamrock cookies instead. I'm sure they would have been delicious cookies, but I was all excited about Irish soda bread. So when I got home from work I decided to make some myself.
I found this terrific recipe from allrecipes.com and I think I like it even better than the bakery's Irish soda bread! I pretty much followed the recipe, except I added some heavy cream to the milk and let it sit for a couple of minutes after I added the vinegar. I also boiled the currents in orange juice before I added them, and I would have used whiskey instead of the orange juice, but I didn't have any. Anyhow it's an excellent recipe, like a giant scone with crispy edges... mmmmm...
It would be perfect with a cup of Irish breakfast tea. Enjoy!
T

1 comment:

Trina said...

That looks amazing!