Wednesday, February 27, 2008

blog #058 >> Adventures in Sewing: Part 1

If your name is Amy Lynn... Stop reading NOW! Close this blog and skip to the next one. If you name is anything other than Amy Lynn, then please continue. This week I learned about all the dangers of sewing from vintage patterns. I found this pattern at an estate sale around Roseburg.


I even bought it from the lady who originally made it. She was so excited to see someone buying it. She said, "I can even remember when I made this for my son... and when my son scribbled on it!" Ever since then I've wanted to sew it up. And I've found a great excuse. Her name is Ada Catherine Rohrer. (My up and coming niece and my brother and sister-in-law's first baby.) She is going to need lots of little pink things when she gets here. So why not start with this adorable layette set.


I grabbed my pattern and set off to Fabric Depot. I already had the cute little baby print and I picked up the little pink floral print to go with it. After I hit up the notions section and found some nice contrasting hem binding. I went home...
Where everything sat in a bag on the floor for a few days. But after that I got to work.

I opened my pattern only to discover... there was some missing. Lesson learned: check the vintage pattern before you buy for instructions and pieces. (Unless you're just buying it for the picture.) If I ever want to make the fitted crib sheet I'll be in pretty good shape. But quite a bit of it was missing including the ever important instructions. However, I did not let that shatter my hopes, I'm much to stubborn for that. I had planned to make this pattern. Bought the fabric for it. And that was that. I went to work.


For the parts I'm making, I have the back of the robe and the panties. I am missing the front of the robe and the sleeve. So going by the guide to the pattern on the back and by measuring the back of the robe I recreated the front and the sleeves. It sewed up beautifully. But I'm a bit worried about the fit. That's the hard part. So if anyone knows a baby about 1-6 months old who would like to start a modeling career, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm very proud of this little robe, and I even stitched up the hem by hand. Now all I have to make is the shorter robe and the matching panties. So stay tuned for more "Adventures in Sewing" featuring vintage patterns.

2 comments:

Dave Feucht said...

Um, that turned out amazingly... very very well done! It's so pretty!

Leingang Family said...

I LOVE it!!!! Do you want to make those for Baby Dear?