Saturday, June 5, 2010

blog #411 >> Hope Grows

Yes Carrie, I stole my blog title from you!
Hope is growing in the garden despite the rain, slugs and death. It seems something new is coming up each day while something else dies. (Portland has been having an unseasonably rainy spring which means it pretty much rains all day every day.) The poor garden REALLY hates this weather. I replanted a few things last week which should be coming up pretty soon. I went out to the garden last week and even the seeds which had sprung up and were growing well had died or disappeared. The cucumbers were gone overnight without a trace! The slugs on the other hand REALLY love this weather. It's been so damp they're probably in slug heaven, or at least they will be soon. I finally broke down and bought some Corry's Death to Slugs and Snails. I'm afraid it will be really cold and rainy like this, until all of a sudden, it's super hot and dry. And the poor peach tree. I think it burned itself out last year. Not only does it not have any fruit, it doesn't have any leaves either. There is one good thing about this weather though, is it's been too rainy for the weeds to grow too! I'm just so happy it's sunny today! Hopefully, there will be more days like today to come.


One of the three zucchinis. Apparently slugs prefer cucumbers to zucchinis, and they've managed to survive so far.


The half of my pole beans that came up.. I had to replant the other half.

The radishes... they're doing alright so far, along with the beets, onions, peas, spinach, Brussel sprouts, strawberries, bell pepper, celery,and sunflowers. The carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, eggplants, cabbage, and dill... which is dead, are not doing so well.

Brussel sprout

Spinach

The lettuce that volunteered from last year. Only a couple of my seeds came up.

The onions.

And obviously, I'm just taking pictures of the good stuff and the areas where it's doing best. Most of the garden looks like this compared to this same time last year. Wow, my tomatoes are unhappy.

And my fairy tale egg plant is knocking on death's door.

But on the bright side, I think the strawberries and going to be alright. I've already got a couple of red ones. :)

And there you have it. Hoping for good weather!
T

No comments: