Sunday, May 15, 2011

blog #464 >> Burning House

Every once in awhile, while scrolling through blogs, I'll find something phenomenally fascinating and at the same time extraordinarily inspiring... this is certainly one of those websites. It's called The Burning House. They collect people from all over the world and ask them to take a picture of what they would save from their home if it were burning down. As they say on their website, "It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities." Which obviously got me thinking, "What would I save from my little apartment?" I don't think I'm quite posh enough to submit my collection, but here are my relics of choice and the reasons why I would save them.



• My old Dr. Martin's that I found at the GoodWill. They fit perfectly, and they are an excellent, practical pair of running shoes, ideal for escaping from a burning building.
• My glasses that belonged to my grandma. It's best to be able to see where your running.
• The vintage 20's deer dress, one of my favorite articles of clothing.
• My great-grandma's black and orange rhinestone necklace from The Roaring 20's.
• The key my grandma gave me when my grandpa died... I'm not sure what it opens, but I always thought it was lovely.
• My grandpa's pocket watch.
• I know it's lame... but I'm going to save my hairbrush. I LOVE that hairbrush, and I don't think you can get that type anymore. It's a creature comfort, and when all else is lost, well... at least I can still brush my hair.
• Although it's not in the picture, (because it's at the cleaners) I'd take my old wool overcoat. It would be cold standing outside watching the place burn down, and I'd want to be warm.
• I'd also grab my purse. I made and designed it myself, and I can see it being helpful to have identification and credit cards. I could also live on it's contents for several days, and stuff things into it as I'm running out the door.
• Lappy, that laptop has become like a part of my brain and my right arm combined.
• My grandpa's diary from WWII and the film negatives of the photos he took during the service.
• My three favorite books from the bookshelf. Replaceable, yes, but I love them. They're like old friends to me. I'd take Jane Eyre, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and Robinson Crusoe.
• Heilenröslein, an old book of German poetry that belonged to my great-grandma. I can't read any of them, but I sometimes translate them when I get bored.
• The big red accordion. My dad and my brother before me played it, and now I do too.
• The stripy umbrella, it's conveniently right by the door, and there's no point standing in the rain.
• A cup of tea, if I had a cup of tea, I'd take it out with me. No reason to let it go to waste. Plus, it would bring a little bit of comfort in the midst of the trauma. But if I didn't already have a cup of tea ready, I wouldn't take the time to make one while the house was burning down. That would just me silly.

(Kitchen, yes there are things I love there too... but it is not on the evacuation route, no time to save anything from there. Sorry kitchen.)


I can just picture myself, standing out in the rain, in my overcoat, with my purse slung over my back, the big red accordion in the front, holding an umbrella and drinking tea, while fearing for the worst and hoping for the best.

If your house were on fire... What would you take?
T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and I are both the sort of person who would be working on a pot of tea at the exact second the house started to burn down. :D
This is a good question: I'm going to have to play copy-cat and make my own list.