Sunday, May 30, 2010

blog #409 >>Grandpa's Diary: Installment #1


October 12, 1942 - November 30, 1942

I enlisted on the 12th of Oct. 1942 at Portland Ore. I sat in the recruiting office from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. We (39 of us) left Portland for St. Lewis at 4:30 P.M. on the way I met Herby Concamron, Claude Green, & Louis Penner. We arrived in St. Louis at 8:30 P.M. Mon. Oct. 12, I was at St. Louis for 5 days getting shots, tests and clothes. (Walt Ide received his first tooth brush when he entered the service.)



We left St. Louis at 5:30 P.M. Sat. Oct., 17. and arrived at Minter Field, at Bakersfield, at 7:00 A.M. Mon. Oct. 19. We were at "Minter" for 3 days. We left Minter where I met T.C. Hartman and Bill Whitford.

On Oct. 23, at 11:30 A.M. and arrived here at Gardner at 1:45 P.M. on Oct. 23, 1942. We lived in "Tent City" for 1 month. In our tent was T.C. Harman, Claud Green., Lewis Stoner, Bill Whitford, and me. We drilled for the entire month. During the time we spent in "Boot Camp" we had 1 "Dust" storm and 3 "Rain" storms. We moved into Barracks on Nov. 23, I got in the 328th B.F.T.S. Barrack D, upstairs, 4th Bunk from the end on the right side of the isle. The five of us split up. The only one left with me was Ted. Hartman.



On the 13th 14th 15th of Nov. I made a trip over to Oakland to see my sister, Brothernlaw, "very blurry.. possibly niece" and my Dear Mother, who was visiting my sister and family. I really enjoyed myself over there. And hated very much to come back to camp.

On the 30th of Nov. I entered Gardner Field Hospital. I had my tonsils removed the next day. (Dec. 1) I stayed in the Hospital 9 days. When I got out I really felt fine!! I did detail for a week...
and then went to work on the "line" for a week.

No comments: