Sunday, May 30, 2010

blog #405 >>Grandpa's Diary: Installment #5


October 23, 1943 - November 28, 1943

On Oct. 23 about noon I left for "L.A." I went with Les Davedron and Bob Jennings down to L.A. Bob drove his "Nash" We went to the "So. Cal." "College of Poc", football game in the stadium. There were about 60,000 people there and the stadium hold 115,000 - "So Cal." won by a score of 6 to 0. In the evening Les & I went to Pasadina I went ice skating & then we went to the dance at the civic auditorium. There I stayed over night in the Y.M.C.A. In the morning Oct. 24th, I went over to L.A. There I visited with Florence Vaughn & in the afternoon we went to West Lake Park. Then in the evening Hilda Gremmel came over & we sang till about 8:00. Then I took a bus out to Wilshire & Fairfort Ave. where I met Bob at 10:00. Then we came home. I drove the last 50 miles! We made it home in 2 1/2 hours. Pretty good time. All in all I had a swell week-end!!!

On Nov. 15th, I went up in ship "309" with Lt. (Brown.) We flew the Bakersfield Range. We where up about 1 1/2 hrs. and it was a swell ride. I got in about 1 hour "stick" time.

On Nov. 18th I went Roller skating in Bakersfield with Rocky Gruthies. We had a swell time and met lots of nice kids. I met "Doris Maple" who works at the airplane - plant in Bakersfield. She's a "riveter" ("Rosie") we went over to "Bake." in a bus & came back with a kid from Gardner. Got in at 2:00 A.M.



On Nov. 25 (Thanksgiving) at 7:30 P.M. I left on a "3 day pass" Which included the 26th, 27th, & 28th of Nov.
I caught a ride to "Bake" with a soilder & sailor, then after waiting about 20 min. I got a ride with a kid (soilder) who took me all the way to San Jose, which is about 50 miles from San Francisco. From San Jose I rode the G.H. bus into San Francisco. I spent Fri. & Sat. with Herb & Ruby. Fri. was there 1st Wedding ann. (Nov. 26th 1943.) So we celebrated all day Fri. On Sat. Herb & I went down town & then Herb left for his work (on "action") on Sat. afternoon.



Then on Sat. evening Ruby & I went down town. We sure did a lot of "Window Shopping."
I met a "gal" on a street-car gong out to Herb's place, on Calif. St. Her name was "Helen Krueger." I plan on seeing her again sometime!!!!

Herb & Ruby are expecting a "baby" in several weeks, they sure want a "Herby Jr.!!" On Sun. (28th) At 7:30 A.M. I caught the "Ferry" at the "Ferry Bldg., St. It took me accross the bay to "Oakland." Seeing that sun-rise & the bridge & all was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen!!!



I boarded the San Joaquin "Daylight" at Oakland & headed for "Bake." I met a Lt. Brady (M.P. officer) on the train we had a swell "chat" together. I got a free meal on the train from some boys who had a extra one. We got into Bakersfield at 4:00 P.M. Then I went roller skating in the evening and rode out to Gardner with Sgt. Lurface who I met in the U.S.O.
I also met Sgt. Porterfield in "Bake."

At the "rink" I met a nice little "Blond" (Francis) I got into bed at 1:30 A.M. Mon. morning. My pass was up at 6:00 A.M. I really had a swell 3 day pass!!!!!

No comments: