Saturday, May 17, 2008

blog #085 >> Book of the Week:
Envelopes by Harriet Russell

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" may be the saying of the US Postal Service. But the Royal Mails' slogan will be something like this, "Through bad puns, larky art, strange puzzles, hand drawn maps, dot-to-dots and quirky crosswords we will prevail, solve and deliver to the appointed addresses and when in doubt to Harriet Russell Flat 1/1 17 Montague St. Glasgow G4 9HU."
This book follows Harriet Russell's "puzzling journey" to outwit the Royal Mail carriers. All I can say is cheers to the heroic Royal Mail carriers who went out of their way and used their brains to solve these addresses and deliver them safely to their destinations.









Do you miss getting letters in the mail? Real letters in the mail, not just junk and magazines, but actual notes from kind friends. I do. I think we should bring back letter writing. It just may be the thing I need to entice me to check my mail box more than once a week.

©2005 Random House
www.atrandom.com

No comments: