Sunday, October 12, 2008

blog #170 >> School Sale and Halloween Trail

This Saturday was a bit of a crazy day.

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! 6:15am. I was up and going long before sunrise, which is quite the feat for me. Some people I'm sure will laugh at this thinking, "Wow! 6:15am she really got to sleep in late!" But for me that's really, really early. I'm not a morning person. So, what would entice me to wake up at such an ungodly hour? Very few things indeed! But to be first at the gate for the Oregon City School Sale is definitely one of those things. I was not alone in my waking early. Dave, Trina & Co. (Steve, Darla and Bridget) were with me this year and we were setting off through the foggy morning for Oregon City before 7:00am. I must say there's something surreal about driving through town so early on a Saturday morning. There's very little traffic and all the street lights and florescent signs look like Christmas lights in the early morning fog.

By 7:30am we were at the gate. And there I caught up with my aunt, uncle, cousin, other uncle, mom, brother, sister-in-law, baby niece, and Ernie the dog. There we all stood, waiting in the cold foggy morning for the gate to open.



8:00am. At last they open! No one really wants to run, but everyone wants to get in first so... "Let's race walk to the stuff!" And ah, what wonderful stuff. They've got all kinds of things and objects and gadgets and items and well... things. And everybody needs things. (Well, really they have: desks, desk chairs, cabinets, old light bulbs, library book rejects, really ancient computers, a kiln, a few old organs sometimes pianos, outdated pull down maps, the fax machine the secretaries wanted to take a baseball bat to six years ago, old pots and pans and canning jars from home ec. classes, paper towel dispensers, maybe some old lockers, mostly just junk the schools are never going to use again... but it's all really cool junk.)



This year I bought a lot of things. I'm not really sure what these things are. But they're really great things. They also had these really neat art deco theater seats. But I didn't bring those home.

10:00am. After the school sale I separated from Dave, Trina & Co. and went with my mom, sister-in-law, baby niece, aunt and uncle to Shari's for breakfast. Then around 10:30am we went back to the school sale, because my mom forgot they had liquid hand soap by the gallon. And when we got back my sister and her family were there. And we got to talking and they were headed to the Haunted Halloween Trail after the sale. But it didn't open until 12:00. So... we all went back to Sheri's for a second breakfast to kill some time.



12:00pm. The Haunted Halloween Trail was pretty swell. It had a spooky haunted castle, a pirate ship and maze (that played Captain Bogg and Salty,) a whole little haunted village, and a pumpkin patch. Someday archaeologists will unearth the place and say it belonged to a civilization of tiny midgets.

Ada was really happy in the car.





T

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! You got a great shot of Ada. Where are you going to put your 'stuff' from the surplus sale? LM

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun!! Love your photos, and Ada is so sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! That's a great pic of Ada. I'm so proud to be her momma. How did you get your pictures to go in between all your verbage? Mine always end up at the top even if I space my cursor down beneath my verbage. ARgh.